Oregon Ignition Interlock Devices

The penalties for a DUI in the state of Oregon increase with each separate offense. If you are convicted of a DUI or you enter into a diversion program, you will likely be required to install an Ignition Interlock Device (IID) in all vehicles you drive (in most circumstances) with very little exception.

What is an IID Device?

This is a required device for preventing an intoxicated individual from operating a vehicle. You blow into a mouthpiece, and if alcohol is detected, the device will log that failure and refuse to start the vehicle. Seeking the guidance of an experienced Clackamas County DUI lawyer such as Jared Justice will help you understand how your situation fits into the larger process.

Upon the first conviction of a DUI, an IID is required and must be installed for one year following your license suspension that resulted from the conviction. For a second conviction, an IID is required for two years. If you are getting your license reinstated following a lifetime revocation, then the IID must be installed for a period of 5 years. If you enter the DUII diversion program, then an IID is required for the duration of the program, which is a minimum of one year but may be subject to a number of special conditions required of each participant. A Clackamas County DUI attorney like Jared Justice can help determine exactly how your situation is likely to unfold.

There are some cases in which a person might be eligible for an exemption to the IID requirements issued by a court. The first is if a vehicle must be operated while working, and is your employer's vehicle. This will only happen if the employer is proven to have been made aware of the IID requirement. The other common form of IID exemption occurs when a healthcare provider certifies that a medical condition impedes the use of an IID.

For more comprehensive insights, contact our office and see how a Clackamas County DUI attorney can help.

Disclaimer: Nothing on this site should be taken as legal advice. For advice on a legal matter, contact an attorney. Contact Jared Justice at 503-722-3981 or jaredjustice@me.com.

Jared Justice is available to practice anywhere in the state of Oregon. He focuses on practicing in the following State Courts: Clackamas, Multnomah, Yamhill, Marion, and Washington Counties. He also practices in the following Municipal Courts: Lake Oswego, West Linn, Newberg, Canby, McMinnville, Troutdale, Oregon City, Beaverton, Milwaukie, Gladstone, and just about every other court in the Portland area.